You thought it was your friend, did you? You thought it wanted to HELP you?
Well you were wrong!
Your dictionary is out to GET you. It wants to see you fail so badly, it will do almost anything to stop you learning Italian.
If you really must give room in your home to one, don’t say I didn’t warn you. (And just be careful, OK?)
But if you’ll follow my advice, throw the damn thing right into the trash can this minute, and be grateful you didn’t get hurt worse. You’ll have had a lucky escape.
Believe me, your dictionary hates you
It’s true, I’m telling you! Just look at the evidence:
- dictionaries inveigle you with their usefulness, then when you’ve come to depend on them, you realise that you’re trapped, with no other way to understand meanings!
- they’ll trick you by providing multiple translations for almost any word you need, without telling you which is correct for your context. Then snigger behind your back when you get it wrong.
- a favourite ploy is to blind you with annotations and grammary stuff you can’t understand…
- they’ll tirelessly waste your time and stop you finishing anything you attempt: your desk will be littered with half-read articles, half-finished homework exercises, half-written e-mails…
- by pretending to help you, they’ll work to undermine your morale and erode your self-belief. Before long, you become convinced you’ll never understand anything in Italian or be able to express yourself fluently in the language
There IS another way
When you were a small child learning your native language, did you use a dictionary then? Did you need one to learn to understand your mother and father, your friends, your teacher? Did you keep one handy every time you switched on the TV or turned the pages of a picture book?
Well, did you?
Of course not! As a child, there was lots of stuff you didn’t understand (almost everything, probably), but you got by, right? Given a little time, and plenty of practice, you worked things out. You had a brain, and man, you used it.
Of course, that was BEFORE the dictionaries got to… I hope it’s not too late for you, I really do. Just throw the cursed thing out the window. Save yourself, while there’s still time!
(Like/Hate this post? Leave a comment. It’d be great to hear your views)
P.S. Just one week left to get our new self study e-book Italian Workout! B2 at half price (that’s just €9.99). Click here to visit the shop.